Monday, April 7, 2008

A weekend of reflection.

I love general conference. It was amazing as usual. When I was growing up we didn't get it on tv, and that was before the internet made it possible to listen online. I think it makes me appreciate it more now. I know that my testimony was strengthened in many areas, and there were many moments when I thought "I need to do that." or even "I think I'm doing pretty good there." Maybe that's why I love it so much; there are definitely reminders of things to work on but also praise for what you're doing right. I am really grateful for the Holy Ghost as a companion. Through him I believe that conference is made personal. If you're prepared, he can teach you what you need. I love that something a speaker says can spark thoughts in your mind and take you to the revelation you need at that time.

One area that my testimony was strengthened was that we truly have living Prophets on the earth today. Not just one, the president of the church, but 15 that we sustain and support. I really appreciated the comments on how the brethren meet and sustain the new president and call new apostles. I think that I've been thinking too much about how much I will miss President Hinckley, and how much I loved him. I do fully support and sustain President Monson, I guess I was just afraid of the change. When President Monson stood and was sustained by the whole membership of the church I felt so deeply in my heart that he has been prepared and saved for this day and this time. Yes, I will still always have a place in my heart for dear President Hinckley, but this is Christ's church, and his work will go forth.

Another thing that I have been thinking about is how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is truly Christ's church. I'm not wording this quite right, but hopefully you'll understand what I mean. I know that it's Christ's church, but I guess I'm thinking more about people who don't know. Either by choice, or not having the opportunity. If you believe the Bible and the New Testament, doesn't it make sense to believe that Christ would restore his church to the earth? There was a period of time when it was lost from the earth, but it's been restored. By God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. The priesthood is here, we have a 3rd testament of Christ (The Book of Mormon), there are prophets, we can receive revelation for ourselves, and we have continuing revelation from the Prophets. I think maybe the thing I'm most excited about right now though, is that we can pray to God and ask Him whatever we want, and he will answer. I knew that before, but you know when you have one of those 'ah ha' moments and you just get it, or it has deeper meaning. And I've learned that it's ok to ask as many times as you need to.

Ok, one more thing. I also loved the Solemn Assembly part. Where we each got to stand with our groups and Sustain the leaders of the church. Wasn't that powerful? It's the first that I can remember being a part of that process, and I thought it was incredible. The first time Bailee saw President Monson on the tv she pointed and said "Prophet." That was followed by one of those "I must be doing something right."moments.

Now I can't wait until the May Ensign gets here so I can read all of the wonderful talks again! How blessed we are to be here on the earth at this time.

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Traci,
You are amazing!!! I read your blog and truly felt the Spirit. You have a fabulous testimony. I am sure that everyone that reads this blog, will be feel it as I did. I am grateful to be a member the true church. I am thankful each day for my testimony and my membership. Thanks so much for sharing your testimony with all of us in the blog world.