Thursday, April 17, 2008
A blue ribbon for each of you, please pass it on.
A few years ago, well ok it was more than 10 years ago (I can't believe that) I went to a conference (it was a 4-H conference in Albuquerque, NM) where Helice spoke to us and I was first introduced to the blue ribbon ceremony. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, and one that I will never forget. After the meeting the youth were sent off to have fun at a dance. The mood was subdued and very different from a typical dance. People were much kinder to each other, and went out of their way to get to know more people. At the very end the song "The Dance" by Garth Brooks was played and we all stood in a circle with our arms around one another. It was incredible. Many of the youth prayed, others spoke about people who had made a difference in their lives, and many just soaked in the spirit of the moment. It was one of the most spiritual moments of my life and a turning point. I know that I'm not perfect, and I don't always treat people as I should, but I do try. I often pull her book out and read the inspirational stories and think of all of the people who make a difference in my life. There are so many, and I know I don't tell you often enough. If each of us would try every day to do a little better, be a little kinder, and love people a little more the world would be a better place. I hope you will think about those who have made a difference in your life, and let them know. It does matter. More than you'll probably ever know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment