Friday, December 4, 2009

Update: We're home!

Suprised? I am. I was 100% sure I'd be staying the night at Primary's. Even when Dr. Cowley said they'd try to have us out of there by 4, I was skeptical. But we were home by 5:30.

Maddox did great. I was not looking forward to seeing him intubated again, and was grateful that I didn't have too. He came off the ventilator just fine, and was off before they left the Cath Lab. I was also not looking forward to being in the PICU, where I thought we'd be sent for recovery. I was really nervous about this procedure for some reason, and I really didn't want to see all of the sick kiddos in the PICU. I get so sad for the other families and worried about their kiddos, and today I really didn't want to feel any of that. I'll deal with it next week. It was strange to be at PCMC and not have our PICU family there. I wonder who we'll meet next week.

While in recovery they watched Maddox to be sure he didn't bleed at the site where they put the cath in. Shortly after one of the times the nurse came to check, I adjusted Maddox and discovered blood had soaked through his blankets and into my lap. The first thing that came to mind was Luke's only memory of his cath when they did the ballooning of his aorta. He remembers his wound gushing blood and them putting a sand bag on it for preasure. I was actually relieved to find that it wasn't Maddox's let, it was his IV leaking. Luckily I had packed an overnight bag and was able to change.

Maddox did well, me...not so much. Between lack of sleep last night and lack of proper nutrition today I got a migrane. Am I ever going to learn? Thankfully I was able to sleep on the way home and take a good long nap when we got here. Maddox slept for several hours and Luke hung out with Bailee. I'm so grateful for him! He's the best daddy and husband ever. I know this is not how he would have chosen to spend his birthday, but Luke is so unselfish that he always puts the rest of us first. I was glad we celebrated last night, it made me feel not quite as bad for today.

So Monday we go back to PCMC for the pre-op work up. Chest xrays, blood work etc. I think I'll get to meet with Dr. AK and Dr. Pinto and have a good idea of the plan for the surgery. Dr. Cowley showed us the pics from the cath and we saw the blood flow through the shunt, it's narrow but functioning. We also were able to see the narrow left Pulmonary Artery, but he said that it looks fine. It was crazy to be able to see the difference between the left and right PA. I really am amazed that looking at this stuff and talking about it makes any sense to me. I find myself spouting off procedures, medications, and diagnosis without even thinking and wondering how I retained any of that info. I credit the amazing Dr.'s and nurses that are so thorough and so willing to repeat things as much as necessary. The other thing Dr. Cowley mentioned was the narrow Aorta. I am going to ask Dr. AK about that. They enlarged it with a graft when Maddox had his Norwood, so I'm wondering if it's still narrow and if they'll have to enlarge it more?

Anyways, we are looking forward to enjoying this weekend with our little family and spending some good time together. It's our Stake Conference and Elder Perry will be here, so I'm really looking forward to our meetings. I love Stake Conference! I always learn so much, and often get the strength and answers I need. We are having a special fast for Maddox (and some other family members) that day too, so please keep him in your prayers.

No comments: