Tuesday, October 14, 2008

California's Prop 8, it affects us all.

On Sunday our ward asked for volunteers to make phone calls regarding Prop 8 in California. I'll be honest, my first thought was "We're not in California. Why us?" After some discussion, answered questions, and pondering the matter, this is why. If it passes in California it opens up the door for every other state who wishes for the same result. I've had the attitude that yes, I know same sex marriage is wrong and I know it's a sin, but I'm not going to force my belief on others who feel differently. Well, now I realize that by not standing up for what I believe in, what I know to be true, their beliefs are being forced on me and my children! I will home school my children before I allow another adult, a teacher, to tell them that this is an acceptable and normal practice. Not a chance! And for it to start so young, as the kindergartner in this video? I just am so upset about this. What I've learned is that our church would lose it's tax exemption because it won't accept same sex marriage. That it would be considered a HATE crime for me to teach my children that same sex marriage is not ok, that it's a sin. Why must I tolerate this belief and not have the same respect in return?? I learned that if this fails, marriages in our temples wouldn't be recognized because same-sex marriages would not be allowed to take place there. Is this not against our rights to practice our religion how and where we chose? Every part of this is just making me sick inside. What times we are living in. My innocent little daughter.

On Sunday as we were sitting in Sacrament Meeting, I was feeling so weighed down and sad. There is so much going on around us, and I feel like the wickedness is closing in. And then we had a wonderful lesson in Young Women's and I felt peace and hope return. We read this scripture 2 Ne. 31: 20 " Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

What a peace that brings to me. If I move forward with a steadfastness in Christ, things will work out. God is on our side. God will prevail. But, it is our duty to our God, ourselves and especially our children, to stand up for what we believe in! We can not sit by and let the world take it's course and expect to be un-affected. It will affect each of us.

I received this video from a friend and just had a chance to watch it. It interviews a family in Massachucets who is dealing with the consequences of same-sex marriages being leaglized. Please watch it and do your part in protecting your values, your children, and your right to worship how and where you want.

Oh, and yes, we will be making calls to people in California to help get a resounding YES on Prop 8.

Video

7 comments:

Tom said...

Hi. Forgive me for stepping in here, but I feel it is vitally important to make sure you have the FACTS before making your decision.

"What I've learned is that our church would lose it's tax exemption because it won't accept same sex marriage."

That is simply NOT TRUE. It hasn't happened in Massachusetts and it can't happen in California. The only SLIGHTLY related issue happened in New Jersey when two lesbians asked to use a church-owned public facility (a beachside gazebo, open to the public) for a commitment ceremony. The church refused and the property tax exemption on that property was rescinded. But ONLY the property tax and ONLY on the gazebo. The extra cost to the church for choosing to discriminate was $200.

"That it would be considered a HATE crime for me to teach my children that same sex marriage is not ok, that it's a sin."

Also not true. We have the First Amendment in this country. Why else do you think Fred Phelps can go to military funerals and shout "god hates fags"? Do you think you will get any less protection than he does?

"I learned that if this fails, marriages in our temples wouldn't be recognized because same-sex marriages would not be allowed to take place there."

COMPLETELY false! If you read the May 15 Supreme Court decision, the justices say the EXACT OPPOSITE: "[A]ffording same-sex couples the opportunity to obtain the designation of marriage will not impinge upon the religious freedom of any religious organization, official, or any other person; no religion will be required to change its religious policies or practices with regard to same-sex couples, and no religious officiant will be required to solemnize a marriage in contravention of his or her religious beliefs."

On top of that, it's clear that churches have always had the right to discriminate against whoever they wish in terms of marriage. The LDS church doesn't allow anyone but those with temple recommends to be married in their temples (and until 1979, wouldn't allow black people to marry in their temples), and Catholics won't marry divorced people in their churches. Each church will be able to deny marriage to any couple they want.

I fully honor your right to hold whatever beliefs you like, but if you want to fight for Prop 8, please do so using the TRUTH.

emi. said...

thank you so much for your post. tom also has an agenda. he doesn't tell the whole story either.

we don't know what will happen if this law fails to pass.

Defining marriage as between one man and one woman is not taking away anyone's rights. The definition simply distinguishes a union that is biologically capable of producing its own children. Whether a married couple has children or not, I feel like this deserves a separate name--even the potential is kind of a miracle.

Actually this definition can be seen as the ultimate expression of equality our society has to offer: it takes one man and one woman. One could see a lesbian union as a marginalization of men, or a homosexual union as a marginalization of women.

Equality is especially important when it comes to raising children. Children deserve/need a father and a mother. Neither parent should be marginalized.

Yes, many children are already growing up in single-parent homes. Prop 8 should be a reminder to everyone that as a society we need to assist and strengthen families as much as possible. Really, as a society we should be most concerned with the success and health of our families.

http://emiliadelmar.blogspot.com/2008/10/legislation-and-social-issues.html

http://preservingmarriage.blogspot.com/

emi. said...

also i don't think any church should lose its property tax exempt status for refusing to do a commitment ceremony on property they let the public use.

even if this law doesn't necessarily impact the lds church facilities, it will impact others. even if it doesn't cost that much money, i think it's wrong. and i don't think it's discrimination. it's adhering to their core religious beliefs.

also the supreme court descision thing is not law. that is like a little post-it note at the end of the decision. it doesn't really have any bearing (from what i understand).

the preserving marriage blog has some really reasoned arguments. it makes my heart happy that some many good people are using their talents to promote this issue.

emi. said...

go bulkley family!

Tom said...

"we don't know what will happen if this law fails to pass."

And we don't know what will happen if it passes, either. This is fear-mongering at its most essential.

"Defining marriage as between one man and one woman is not taking away anyone's rights."

Yes, it is. It removes the right of civil marriage from same-sex couples. Don't eliminate marriage for anyone.

"Equality is especially important when it comes to raising children. Children deserve/need a father and a mother."

What if, hypothetically, I conceded that was the case? That kids do best with both a mom and dad in the home -- how does denying marriage equality do anything to further that goal?

Tom said...

"i don't think any church should lose its property tax exempt status for refusing to do a commitment ceremony on property they let the public use."

And if the church's "core religious beliefs" stated only white folks could marry, would your position remain the same?

Tom said...

After all the debate, all the arguing, all the back and forth on the issue of marriage equality, today I want you to think about just one thing. I want you to imagine how it would feel if other people were allowed to vote on the validity of your relationship. How would you feel if millions of people were stepping into voting booths right now to decide whether YOUR marriage would be “valid or recognized”?