Friday, July 24, 2009

Maddox Update

Maddox is doing great. The surgeon, nurses, and dr.'s have great reports to give. Maddox is shedding fluids super quickly, so they actually cut back his lasics (which help him pee off the fluid) tonight. They are thinking they will be able to close his chest on Sunday, which is super exciting. He really looks good too, considering.

So I guess we really haven't explained the surgery. This was the first of 3. For this stage one surgery they accomplished 3 things: first put in a gore-tex tube to help blood flow from the right side of the heart to the lungs, and allows the aorta to move blood to the body; 2nd they repaired the coarctation of the aorta- it was too small so they made it bigger; 3rd they removed some tissue to create a bigger space for the blood to mix.

So now that the first surgery is complete, we can start looking towards bringing him home. After they get his chest closed, they will begin feeding him milk via a feeding tube. The next step will be taking him off the ventilator and weaning him from a medicine that helps his heart contract. They say recovery is between 2 1/2 weeks and 4 weeks, so we still have a ways to go, but things are looking good.

Bailee seems to be handling things well. I know it's going to be harder as the weeks go on, but we've been blessed to have so much help from Grandma B. and Grammy and Grampy, not to mention the rest of the family and friends. We really appreciate all of the help from everyone.

We'll keep updating. Thanks for all of the well wishes and prayers. We know that they help!

Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome

4 comments:

Jen said...

It sounds like things are going great!! I'm glad to hear Maddox's sugery went well. I'd love to come get Bailee sometime this week to take her swimming at the Tanner's while we're there. Just let me know!

Jen said...

OK...this is totally random but I was just thinking about the whole Maddox/baseball thing that just sort of "happened" and this is the first time I really looked at his initials....I had to chuckle... M.addox L.arry B.ulkley.... M.ajor L.eague B.aseball!! I'm sure you already thought about it but it's kind of funny how that worked out!

Keliki said...

Way to go Maddox!!!! You are officially the toughest kid I know!!

Shari said...

Glad to hear that things seem to be going well with the surgery. We will keep your family in our prayers. What a cute little guy he is!! What a strong mom you are too!