Monday, December 15, 2008

Gratitude

I have been really quite negative and depressed lately. I really really don't like being sick, and its frustrating when it gets in the way of what I want and need to be doing. I can usually handle it for a day or two, but we're going on week 5 here and I've had little relief. So I've been dwelling on that, thinking about that, whining about that. I can imagine that people may be avoiding me so they don't have to hear about it.

So yesterday as we were waiting for a meeting, a friend came in flustered, sat down and handed me this bottle of soap saying (paraphrased of course...) "I've been thinking about Elder Wirthlin's talk, Come what may and love it." I looked down and on the bottle it says "grateful hands". I thought to myself..that was a good talk, I should read it again. Then she went on to tell us some frustrating things that happened that morning. A few minutes later my friend said "Did I say Merry Christmas when I gave that to you?" I laughed and said no, you told me "Come what may and love it". While that wasn't her intended message to me, I believe it was the Lords message to me.

For our Christmas lesson next week my part is talking about Gratitude and Service. This morning I pulled out my scriptures, new era's etc. and laid in bed a while reading. I thought of so many things that I am grateful for. As I read scriptures and quotes from prophets and thought about how much the Lord loves me and has blessed me, I began feeling sorry for the negative feelings I've allowed myself to wallow in these past weeks. I also read in the New Era about forgiving yourself, and there were some great insights on that topic. So I made a resolution to focus on the things that I am grateful for instead of how sick I may be feeling. And also to forgive myself as the Lord has, for the past weeks of self pity.

I truly have much to be grateful for. Most of all for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for His kindness, mercy, love, teachings. I am so grateful for His Gospel and the Hope I gain from learning of him and following him. And I'm grateful for friends who, whether intentional or not, remind me what's important.

3 comments:

The Wents said...

That is so true Traci...thanks for reminding me about that talk and gratitude. It's certainly hard to feel that way when your sick. Sorry I didn't talk to you on the phone longer today. There was a 10 person line behind me at the post office and of course I'm the dumb one who wrote down the wrong zip code.

Chelsea said...

I think we all need that reminder every now and then! It's so easy to get wrapped up in our daily lives that I think we forget about that beautiful word! I do, so thanks for the reminder!!

I'm sorry you are so sick...i'm sure you're sick of people saying that! You are in our prayers and I truly hope you get some sort of relief!

Maybe we should make a count down when I come up there! Just think today was 212 days left and tomorrow is 211 by the time I see you you'll be close to 200...don't think this is helping so I love you and I can not wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Traci!!
It is so fun to hear from you. I am SOOOO excited to hear you are expecting!! I hope you get a little relief soon and thanks for your insights. We're coming for Christmas and will be in town for a couple of weeks, so we hope to see you guys sometime.
We'll be in touch