Monday, January 28, 2008

We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet!

There is a picture of the former First Presidency (President Hinckley, President Faust, and President Monson. I hadn't switched the picture yet, it was on my list.) on the wall as you go down the stairs. Almost every time we go down I stop and ask Bailee "Who is that?" she says "Prapra" (translate that to Prophet) and then I ask, "What is his name?" she responds, "Name, HinckHink." I love this activity, I hope she can feel how much I love our dear Prophet. I tell her that he is Jesus' prophet, and he loves Jesus very much. Bailee also loves Jesus, and loves to look at pictures of Him. Last night we turned on the news, after an instant message letting us know of the Prophets passing, and Bailee said "Prapra. Name. HinckHinck." I smiled sadly and thought of what a wonderful man he was. His smile was contagious. His humor was pure. His love was evident. I can only imagine what the reunion must have been like! President Hinckley missed his dear sweet wife. I'm sure it was difficult to not have her by his side, that greeting must have been so sweet. And the others he's sure to meet! I get goosebumps thinking about passing through the veil into the presence of our Heavenly Father, our Savior Jesus Christ, family and friends who have gone before, and the prophets who have given so much that we might have the gospel. I am so grateful for each of them. I am sad for me, but happy for him. He lived a wonderful life and was a wonderful example.
(Photos by Scot Proctor)
I remember President Ezra Taft Benson, how I loved him. I was so sad when he passed, and I thought I could never love a Prophet as I loved him. President Howard W. Hunter was the prophet for such a short amount of time, I really don't remember him as much as I should. Shortly after President Hinckley became the Prophet we went to a fireside in St. George. I will never forget the feelings of love and the Holy Ghost testifying to me that he was indeed a prophet. He was a Prophet of the Youth. He loved us, we knew it. He will be greatly missed.

No comments: