Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My mothers daughter

I sent these pictures to my mom yesterday. Her response was "I hope you didn't move that dresser yourself. You have several months until the baby comes." 


I responded the only way I could. "Of course I did. But I didn't lift it. And I didn't try and move the freezer from downstairs to upstairs."

She wouldn't have expected anything less. She raised me. And I am her in many ways. My mom is fiercly independent. If it was physically possible for her to do it herself, she did. She didn't wait for my dad to come home to rip out a wall, to rearrange the heavy stuff, to paint, etc. She just did it. Why wait when you can do it yourself and just get it done?

I often wondered what my dad thought. I'm sure by the time I was old enough to recognize this, he was used to it and not surprised. 

I'm certain it's taken Luke by surprise a few times, to come home to different colored walls, furniture rearranged, new stuff I've put together. He wasn't surprised yesterday when he came home to the newly rearranged boys room. I told him my plans a month a go. The day after we found out I was wrong, and baby boy #2 was headed our way. I prefaced my ideas by telling him 'We don't have to do this today.' In his mind (and he's right), we have plenty of time. No need to rush. For me, I'd rather get it done now, while I'm feeling up to it, and have it the way I want it. 

So I've had a month to think about how I wanted the boys room to be. I adore the paint and colors we chose for Maddox, so really this was an easy makeover. Maddox and I have talked about the changes plenty of times, and I let him choose which side of the room he wanted his bed. Yesterday I thought I'd just reorganize the closet so when we did move things around, it would be easier. 

If you give a mouse a cookie...

That's how I work. I didn't intend to move the linen shelf out of the closet, put the dresser in the closet, move Maddox's bed, and put together the crib. I figured if I already had the sheets and blankets out and re folded, I might as well move the shelf. It wasn't heavy. Since the shelf was gone, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to slide the dresser into the closet. I was wrong. It's so heavy. But I was determined. So I moved it little by little across the room. Maddox's bed isn't heavy at all, and the crib pieces are light enough. 

It was kind of fun to sit with Maddox and show him how to put the bolts in, have him help me hold pieces, and tighten the wing nuts. He enjoyed it too. I think involving him in the whole process helps him feel like he has some control and that the baby isn't just taking over his room and his life. 

I know I'm OCD about that. I was the same with Bai when we were expecting Maddox. I want them to feel included and a part of this. I don't want baby to just be something that happened to them. 

Maddox is definitely more excited than Bailee. I think she's guarding her heart. Between the whole experience with Maddox, and the miscarriage before this one, I don't think she knows what to expect or hope for. It's easier for her to say she doesn't care than to get her hopes up. I do know she's glad it's a boy so she doesn't have to share her room. 

Baby is growing well and moving all of the time. It's fun to see my belly move or him kick my hand when I'm resting it on my belly. Soon the kids will be able to feel him too. I'm so relieved that his heart is well formed. I think we all need this baby to be a healing experience. I wouldn't trade Maddox and his journey for anything, but it was so hard on everyone that first year. 

Deadlines are looming for work and CHD week. I best be off to accomplish something there. Though right now I'd like to reorganize the playroom...


No comments: