Bailee's school did a cookie dough fundraiser this year. I will be the first to admit I do not love fundraisers. I would rather just give the school the money.
The prize for the top sellers was a limo ride with the principle to go to lunch and build-a-bear. Bailee really wanted to be a top seller.
As it got closer to the deadline she begged me to let her go around our neighborhood and sell. We have quite a few kids in our little neighborhood that go to the same school, so I was sure they'd already been out.
Bailee persisted though, so out we went. She went to every house that didn't have a student or a grandchild in the school. I was quite impressed with the amount she sold. She even went back to two houses that weren't home the first time, in her pjs. I admired her persistence and willingness to do the work.
As we totaled up her sales, she was certain she had sold enough to be a top seller. We talked about the prizes we knew she had earned, based on what she sold. I told her I was proud of how hard she worked, and tried to be realistic about her chances of being a top seller. I really hate when she's disappointed about something she has little control over. She had done her best.
A few weeks went by and she received the prizes she'd earned. There was no news about top seller. We focused in what her work had earned her, and she was happy with herself.
Then I got a call from her school. Bailee was one of the top sellers. She had set a goal, and reached it. I was excited for her, and couldn't wait for her to tell me about it. When she got home, she had nothing unusual to tell me. We decided to wait until she told us about the accomplishment. The night before the limo ride, she still didn't know.
Thursday, I went to the school to take pictures of the kids getting in the limo. I was able to video Bai during the announcement. She seemed completely confused, and unsure what to do.
Luke and I were able to meet the limo at the mall and have lunch with the crew. Six other students had earned the prize. After lunch, we headed to build-a-bear and each student was able to get an animal and clothes.
Bailee had an awesome time, and I'm grateful for the teaching moments. It was so good for her to set a goal and achieve it. A goal that had nothing to do with mom and dad trying to teach her something, and a reward that was unique enough to make a lasting impression. It's a lesson I hope she remembers for a long time.









No comments:
Post a Comment