Thursday, December 19, 2013

Thoughts on life and stuff

I've been thinking about all kinds of things lately, based on things I've read on Facebook, life's challenges, etc. and how it relates to what I believs to be true. What I know in my heart to be true. 

I think it's human nature to judge. We judge ourselves, we judge family and friends, we judge complete strangers. I know it's our responsibility to overcome that natural tendency. It's not our right or responsibility to condemn someone else for their choices and/or lifestyle. It is within my rights and responsibilities as a mother to decide or to judge what my children should be exposed to, and how to address situations that come up. 

I was raised a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. As a child, that's where my parents took me to worship, and how they taught me to worship. As a teenager, I chose to do so willingly. As an adult I've gained my own testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and find that the LDS church best matches what I know in my heart to be true. Is this church perfect? No, and I am a long ways from perfection. A long ways. But the Gospel is perfect, and the teachings of Christ are what I feel is best for myself and my young children. 

I feel completely lost for words on the continued attack on anyone who speaks out about their values, their belief, and their way of life. We live in a country that was founded on the very principle of worshiping, who, how, when, and where an individual choses to do so. 

As a teenager with newly found internet access, I talked to all different kinds of people. I was naive to so much of the world. I lived a sheltered life. Something that I value greatly from that time is learning about other religions and beliefs. I specifically remember long conversations with a guy who was Jewish. It was fascinating to learn about what he believed and what his church taught. I was able to share my own beliefs. Neither of us were threatened by the knowledge, and I personally felt gratitude to hear another perspective. It's liberating to have choices and to make choices. I felt free to do that. I think those types of experiences really helped me to look at what I had been taught, and realize that I truly did believe those things. 

I grew up with four younger sisters, and a sister in heaven. I have always had a different kind of relationship with each of them. That's probably not unique, but it's important to me. My sister in heaven is a year older than me. I have felt a special bond with her my entire life. I cannot wait to be reunited with her. As the years have gone by, my desire to be with her again has grown stronger. As other family and friends have joined her, my desire to be there increases. That part of the Gospel is my favorite. I hold on to that belief that we will be reunited, and I am trying to do the things that I believe will get me there. 

Each of my siblings have taken different paths. Our family life and dynamic is not how I ever imagined it would be. In fact, there was a time that I felt deep sadness about this. How could the five of us grown up in the same home and be so different? I'm ashamed to even admit that I was angry at them for not choosing 'the right' and giving up their chance to be a forever family. I was wrong to feel that way, and though I never expressed it to them, I do hope they forgive me.

While we did grow up in the same home, each of our circumstances varried. From the time spent with our parents, to our friends at school, to the extra curricular activities we participated in, we were exposed to different situations. I can see that those circumstances have a long lasting effect. They shape who we are and who we become. I am proud of each of my sisters for different things. They have each been an example to me in different ways. They've made peoples lives better. They've reached lofty goals. They've helped me to grow in ways impossible if they were just like me. 

I used to think that there was only one right way to live. Now I can see that the right way is different for different people. That doesn't threaten me or my beliefs in any way. I know who I am, who I want to be, and the best way for me to get there. 

That being said, I still strongly believe in the teachings of Christ that I grew up learning, and I have just as much right to speak of those things as anyone else. There are lifestyles and choices that I believe are sinful. And guess what? It's okay that I believe that. Christ said 'let him without sin cast the first stone.' Disagreeing with someone's choice is not the same as casting stones.  I can love someone fully and not agree with everything they say and do. It seems that the quest for equality and tolerance is one sided. Just because I say I don't like a particularly a behavior doesn't mean I hate or condemn everyone who choses to participate. That's a job I don't want! I wish we all could just love each other for who we chose to be, and respect our differences. 



No comments: