Saturday, December 7, 2013

Frozen


We were able to go to an early morning screening of Disney's Frozen, thanks to HopeKids Utah, this morning. The previews looked pretty good, but I didn't really know what to expect. Other than the snowman and reindeer were going to be funny, and a usually warm kingdom turned to ice, I didn't have a clear picture of the story line. 

I loved this movie! From beginning to end, it was fantastic. I can't wait to see it again. The kids and Luke really enjoyed it as well. If you haven't seen it yet, this is your spoiler alert!

The art and music were fantastic. It looked a lot like Tangled, and the music was fun and upbeat. 

I loved that Elsa, the older sister with the ice curse, wasn't a villain. She didn't know how to control the power, and she didn't want to hurt anyone. Especially her sister. I loved the lesson that you can't run from your problems. Running away caused more problems. When she was forced to face her weakness, she learned she could control it. 

I love that the princess didn't wait around for the prince to save the day. She took charge of her own problem and tried to solve it. On the other hand, I love that even though she was a strong female lead, she was willing to accept help. Often it seems the heroine is on extreme ends of the spectrum. She either is weak and expects the man to take complete care of her, or she is strong-willed and won't accept help from a man. I felt Ana, and her relationship with Christoff, was more realistic.

On that note, I loved that the act of true love was not true loves kiss. It was refreshing to see true love between the sisters be the solution. That was probably my favorite part. There was still a cute love story, but it wasn't the happy ending. The happy ending was a family overcoming years of seperation. 

The villain was the twist I didn't see coming. I actually loved that it wasn't a major story line. It was an important detail in the end, but not the focus. 

Maddox asked when numbers two through seven would come out. I told him that sometimes one is enough. 

Bailee has been pretending to be Elsa all day. She often uses the 'I can't control it' excuse when she makes a poor choice. We were able to talk about how, through life experiences and trials, we learn how to control ourselves. I hope she remembers this lesson. 

I really look forward to seeing Frozen again. It's for sure one that I plan on buying. 

(I didn't love that when we left the theater our own world was frozen...I can't wait for summer!)


No comments: