I recently joined an initiative called the MOD Squad, Mothers for Organ Donation. Our mission is to raise awareness for Organ Donation, specifically pediatric donation. This is a hard topic of conversation, because to be an organ donor, you typically have to be dead. No one wants to talk about or think about a loved one dying. Especially their child. Unfortunately this happens. More often that you'd like to think about. In that time of crisis is not the time to have to make this decision. Have the conversation. Have it today. Register to be a donor. Register your children to be donors. Make your wishes known.
Why is this so personal for me? The reality is that Maddox is the recipient of Donor Tissue. They used someone's donated tissue in his very first surgery to create a graft. Honestly, I hadn't given much thought to this at the time. It didn't really occur to me that it was a gift from someone who'd passed on. I am grateful for that gift. Another of our 'realities' is that Maddox is very likely going to need a heart transplant in his life. While we hope that it will be 30 years away and by then they'll be growing new hearts from his own cells, the reality is that it could be 30 years or 30 days. We just don't know. If it's Heavenly Father's will for Maddox to receive that gift of a new heart, and remain here on earth with us, my prayer is that he will help soften the right person's heart and help them through their trial and the tough decision to donate that heart.
I have seen, with my own eyes and heart, the impact organ donation has on people. My father-in-law was very sick when he passed away. His organs were too sick to give to anyone else, but he was able to give his eyes. Someone else, possibly 2 people, have their sight because of this gift. I have seen children who's families we've become close too receive the gift of a heart transplant. I've watched as families have said good bye when it was too late for that gift. It's personal, and I want to do my part to help as many families as I can.
I had the opportunity to attend a meeting this morning in which the Utah
DMV was given an award for their efforts in raising awareness for Organ
Donation. 70% of Utahn's are organ donation. That is incredible! The national average is around 45%. That number is phenomenal and you'd think it'd be enough. I've learned that a very small percentage of those who pass away, who are organ donors, are actually able to donate. The situation has to be just right.
A sweet donor mother spoke at this meeting. Her son passed away unexpectedly shortly before he turned 17. Weeks before he told her that he'd signed up to be an organ donor, and they had the conversation. She talked about how much that meant to her when the time came to grant those wishes. I loved the analogy that she shared, and that is what I wanted to share today. She said it's like when you throw a rock into the water. As it sinks away, out of sight and lost to you, you see the ripples move out across the water. The rock may be gone, but the effects are far reaching. That's how organ donation is. It doesn't just effect the person who donated and the person who received. It touches their families, and their friends. It has an impact on the future generations. It touches complete strangers who are mere passer-byes. There is a ripple effect.
Another mother spoke as well. Her daughter is the recipient of a heart transplant. The sweet girl was just 18 months old and very sick when they got the call. She happened to be right next door to us when Maddox had a surgery in December 2009. I remember hearing this sweet girl giggling and seeing the nurse tossing cheerios across the room and into her bed. When I learned that she'd had a heart transplant just 2 days earlier I was amazed. That image has stuck with me over the last 3 years. She gave and continues to give me hope. Meeting her family and seeing their strength and gratitude has been a strength to me. There is a ripple effect.
There are plenty of myths about organ donation, if you are wondering if you can donate, chances are you can. Check out this website! YES Utah
Please join me in having the difficult conversation. Talk to your family, your friends, your neighbors. It's important and it does make a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment