So, yesterday morning when I went to change Bailee's diaper, I decided that we're going to give potty training another try. I've read a ton of suggestions, and I really feel like Bailee is ready. She has started to ask me to change her as soon as she's wet, or even while she is going. So I know she's recognizing. I put her in panties and told her we're going to use the potty today and wear our big girl panties. She had a couple of accidents before Lunch, and then after lunch she goes down for a nap. After lunch we put panties back on and she just kept peeing in them. I decided early in the day that I'd rather clean up pee than change diapers, so I didn't get frustrated with her. In the afternoon we went downstairs so I could work on some girls camp stuff, and we took the potty with us. I turned on Signing Time and Bailee walked around playing and watching. She told me she needed to go potty and at this time didn't have panties on, so she went and sat. She sat there for a long time, I think it helped that she was distracted by the TV, but then I could smell her. I asked if she'd gone potty and she told me yes. SO, I walked over there, and she had! Bailee knows how to take care of the potty, so we dumped it and cleaned it and put it back together. I was so excited! Luckily, I had a little chocolate (her favorite!) in my scrap-room, so she got a treat right away. This was followed by a lot of wet panties. I had her sit on the potty again right before bed, and when she went to bed I told her that tomorrow we were going to wear our big girl panties again.
In the mean time, I'd run to the library after dinner to pick up a book. While I was there a potty training one had caught my eye so I grabbed it. I read it before I went to bed, and I liked it much better than the 1st one that I tried. I feel like these methods would work better for Bailee. It suggested that you have set times to practice going potty, and if the child resists, that you say "Bailee, we have a new rule. We are going to sit on the potty before..." So I have noticed that she usually wakes up dry and then wets during breakfast. When I first heard her this morning I went in and told her good morning and got out her panties. I told her we had a new rule, that we are going to sit on the potty before breakfast. I took off her diaper, and it was wet. :( I had missed it by a minute or two. But, we sat on the potty anyways, and she went! Just a tiny bit, but she did it! She put her panties on with no resistance, and then had some M&M's...yes before breakfast. Now she's happily eating breakfast and we have a whole new day ahead of us. So yes, it's a small victory, but a victory nonetheless. Cheer for us!
2 comments:
Well that is definately exciting. I have been doing that battle for off and on for over a year now with my 3 year old, but we had a very good turn of event today also. Good luck!
YEA!!! You are such an awesome Mom!!!
Post a Comment