Saturday, July 10, 2010

Remember these?? Wala!

A little history? My Aunt and Uncle bought these new in the 1990's. I always thought they were so nice. They got passed around my mom's family, and we received them when we got married. Then we moved into Mom and Dad B's while they went on their mission and we didn't have any place to put these. So back to the family they went. Luckily, no one was using them when we needed another set of furniture. Bonus. 
Still loved the furniture, didn't so much love the blue crushed velvet. My plan was to get brave enough to re-cover the cushions and paint the wood. I'm not the best at sewing, and this was a big project. But I've been watching for an amazing deal on upholstery fabric. I knew I wanted to go some kind of black and white print.

At IKEA a couple of weeks ago, mom stumbled upon a clearance bin of slip covers! Black! Each package had 2, a big one and a smaller one and they were only $10! I bought 2 sets to try out on the chairs, figuring if they didn't fit I could alter them. It was cheaper than fabric! I got home and tried them on and they are perfect! So we went back and got 3 more sets. I had also seen this print that I LOVED! I wasn't sure I'd love the orange forever, but I finally decided that the print would be easy to switch out when I'm ready for something else. I made the covers for the coffee table cushions, and 4 pillows! Way easier than I thought, and I do LOVE them!




 
So I spent $50 for slip covers and about $20 for fabric. I also found black stain, also on clearance, so I grabbed a few cans. I'm in the process of sanding each piece and then will stain them black. So for less than $100 I get new furniture!

3 comments:

Pauline said...

Traci, they look good. You'll have to post the final pictures when you get them painted. Job well done.

Anonymous said...

They look great in pictures and even better in person

Lisa Willden said...

Super Cute Traci! My favorite part of the whole room... the bumbo chair :)