Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Heart: Happy Heart Month!

Heart Month means something different to me these days. Since joining the "Heart Mom's" club, I have learned a lot but realize I have a lot yet to learn. I thought I would share a few facts about Congenital Heart Defects (CHD) this month. I'd like to post one every day, but I'm not going to commit to that. :) So we'll see where I end up and we'll learn some new stuff together.

"Most people are unaware that up to 1.3 million American alive today have some form of congenital heart defect and about one-half of these individuals are less than 25 years of age.
At least nine of every 1,000 infants born a year have a heart defect. That’s almost one percent of live-born infants. Sometimes the defect is so mild that there are no outward symptoms. In other cases, it’s so severe that the newborn becomes ill soon after birth. In still other cases, signs and symptoms occur only in later childhood.
In the United States, about 36,000 children are born with a heart defect each year. Most of these children can be helped by surgery even if the defect is severe."
Taken from The American Heart Association

No comments: